From:
Skip Morrow <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Skip Morrow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Nov 2018 16:14:19 -0500
Sreeni,
No offense taken (I have served as judge, head judge, and as a coach this
season). Your comments are actually quite common, and we hear similar
things each year. I really suggest that you try to get involved as a judge
at the state tournament in two weeks, or serve as a judge at some regionals
next season. You will see that the training does indeed try to get the
judges up to speed on what is expected of the teams, but there really can't
be any specific training related to the theme of the challenge. The
volunteer judges receive about one hour of training prior to the
tournament, and there is online training also available for them. But all
of the training is related to the administration of judging at tournaments
in general. When you are limited to volunteers, you take what you can get.
Sometimes we get lucky and get judges with a good background in the subject
material. For instance, here in Virginia/DC we have a lot of tech industry,
and we usually have no trouble finding robot design judges that have a good
background in mechanics or programming. But for something as specific as
Into Orbit, it just ins't realistic to think you are going to get NASA
and/or space experts who may (or may not) have a better understanding of
your team's presentation at every regional event across the state.

Again, I also strongly suggest judging at other FLL events in order to get
a better appreciation of what is needed to do this. Your team will do
better with your new insight. As we say, volunteering as a judge really is
the best kept secret in FLL coaching.

Thanks.
Skip

.