From:
Vincent Shier <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Vincent Shier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Nov 2017 13:43:17 -0400
Moving the manhole covers out of the black circles is not a penalty. It
just won't score points even if flipped if it is completely outside.  Field
damage is addressed in R17:

R17 - FIELD DAMAGE • If the Robot separates Dual Lock or breaks a Mission
Model, Missions obviously made possible or easier by this damage or the
action that caused it do not score.

The penalty for field damage (separating dual lock or breaking a mission
model) is not a -5 penalty.  In that circumstance the penalty would be that
you do not earn the points for that mission, but ONLY if the mission was
made possible or easier due to that action.  But remember the benefit of
the doubt rule GP3:

GP3 - BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT - If the Referee (Ref) feels something is a
“very tough call,” and no one can point to strong text in any particular
direction, you get the Benefit Of The Doubt. This good-faith courtesy is
not to be used as a strategy.

Although not a strategy to rely upon, if it is a tough call on whether
field damage made a mission possible or easier the discretionary call
should go to the kids. The robot technician should advocate for the team
before signing the scoring sheet.

We had this happen last year during a run where the automated milking
machine broke, but it made the mission harder if not impossible to complete
yet we did.  Our technicians explained this and GP3 to the referee who
consulted with the head referee and granted full points for the mission.

Hope this helps,

Vince Shier
iBOT Brainiacs