From:
Gwen Hall <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 21 Nov 2008 09:38:42 -0800
Please remove me from the email list

From: David Levy <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [VADCFLL-L] Mentoring rookie coaches
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Friday, November 21, 2008, 11:02 AM

I ran a few camps in the past two summers and it was truly a delight to see that
several of my former students had found their way onto teams this season.  I
have to say though that the level of training offered in a week long camp is not
a prerequisite for participation in the FLL.

From what I have seen, the problems that rookie coaches face are due to
difficulty in  knowing where to start.   I can't tell you how many parents
that I've advised, had purchased a retail kit for their child but never
bothered to install the software.   Likewise there are many teachers who have
installed the Edu Kit's. software for their school based club or in the
classroom but never knew about the included tutorials.    IMHO, all it takes is
a few hours of an experienced coaches time to get the new coaches acclimated .
The new coaches in turn have to ask more questions here on the VADCFLL-L email
list.

One thing that I did notice this season was a drop off of veteran teams.
I'm thinking that this may be due to the difficulty in this year's robot
game and the unwillingness for teams to register for tournaments - thinking that
their scores were too low.   How about those teams that  stuck it out and
registered for the regionals?   Were you surprised that most teams scored lower
than prior years?

David Levy
VA/DC FLL Education and Outreach Director
3rd Year Coach

administrative announcements will be distributed - visit
https://listserv.jmu.edu/archives/vadcfll-admin-l.html and select "Join or
leave the list".