Sender:
Date:
Mon, 5 Dec 2011 18:12:35 -0500
7bit
From:
"Donna L. Cornwell" <[log in to unmask]>
To: Mary Kendrick <[log in to unmask]>
  I like to use the off-season to teach skills.  One year my team really
wanted to finish and perfect missions that they had worked on for the
tournament.  They enjoyed doing that, so they just worked through the
missions.  The next year, they were burned out on the missions after the
tournament, so I gave them mini-missions to solve.  We were working
towards having soccer playing robots.  I started with small tasks: kick
a ball into a goal, then use the light sensor to follow a line to a
goal, etc.: Our post-season came to an end before we got farther.

I felt that my team needed work on discipline and skills, so I taught
them again how to calculate the rotations to go a certain distance and
for various turns ( 45 degree, 90 degree).  I then gave them robot
specifications and gave them a mission to solve and program.  I built
the robot myself outside of meetings.  They were not allowed to see
"MysteryBot" until they had written and shown me their programs.  I did
this with them early in the season before I would let them design and
build their robot and tackle the food factor missions.  I think it would
make a good off-season activity.

Another idea I had was to have everyone purchase a book and work through
the activities in the book.  My current favorite is Winning Designs for
Lego Mindstorms NXT.  With a beginner team, I might prefer The
Unofficial Lego Mindstorms NXT 2.0.

Donna Cornwell