Sender:
Date:
Thu, 28 Aug 2014 09:23:15 -0400
From:
Jeff Schoolcraft <[log in to unmask]>
To: Paige Umstead <[log in to unmask]>
We have one, but I can’t find the digital copy right now.  I think my other coach has it.  One thing ours had in it, mostly for parents as we are an after school team, is to pick kids up promptly.

A quick google search turns up a bunch:
http://fpms.leanderisd.org/users/0073/2014-2015FourPointsMiddleSchoolFLLRoboticsApplication.pdf (has a parent and student contract)
http://www.hellgate.k12.mt.us/cms/lib/MT15000294/Centricity/Domain/19/RoboticsClubFiles/FLL%20STUDENT%20Contract%20bcedits.doc
http://teachersites.schoolworld.com/webpages/FirstLegoLeague/files/student%20contract%20nature's%20fury.pdf
http://triadelphiaridgepta.org/files/FLLStudentContract.pdf
http://forums.usfirst.org/showthread.php?17956-parent-contract (forum thread says Parent Contract, but might include student contracts)
http://www.oakhillpta.org/After-School_Programs/Robotics/FLL13_StudentBehavioralContract.pdf
As far as “pulling their weight” this became much more of an issue when we got closer to tournaments and a bunch of kids wanted to drive.  We ended up having several mock runs a week or two out to determine the drivers.  Mostly the kids that attended more practices, participated in building more attachments and helped with mission programming did better.

This year I’m going to try a hybrid of the merit badge system, from http://www.fllstartingpoint.com/?p=640, attendance and the mock driver runs.  I still think the more involved kids will generally rise to the top.

All kids are different.  I had one kid last year that didn’t want to do anything.  Didn’t want to drive, didn’t want to program, didn’t want to build, nothing.  He came to almost every practice, didn’t cause any problems, but just didn’t seem to want to do much.  So I talked to his mom a couple times and asked how robotics was going for him and she kept saying he loves it, it’s what he talks about.  He’s moving on to 6th grade and switching to VEX but he’s still “doing” robotics.

I have a smaller team and more robots this year, so I’m hoping we’ll have less environmental constraints.  But I’m hoping to find something for everyone to WANT to do.  I’ll know in a couple more weeks how things shake out, it’s still too early to tell.

--
Jeff Schoolcraft