From:
Sonya Shaver <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sonya Shaver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 2010 17:50:19 -0400
It's too bad that someone has posted this.  I don't think it's okay, and it
spoils the fun of figuring out the challenge on their own.  However, there
is no way that judges could deduct points for anything that was similar,
because there will always be teams who have the same ideas of how to solve a
mission, that just happened to come up with a similar solution, or even one
that looks exactly alike.  So that wouldn't be fair for judges to deduct
points.  That is actually probably going to happen a lot with some of these
missions, that many teams will have a similar idea on how to solve
something.  We had a research idea one year that another team in another
state won an award for, and so they had some videos about them on the
internet.  And literally, it was almost our team's exact idea, many things
about it were exactly the same.  Yet, my team had never heard of this other
team, talked to them, etc.  It happens.

If my team had found that video by accident, I would have had them turn it
off immediately and not let them be influenced by it, unless they saw it
without you knowing, at another time.  I think the point you want to
emphasize is not, "don't copy their ideas because you might get caught and
get points deducted" but rather, the more important reasons why they
wouldn't want to copy someone else's ideas.  It is not nearly as easy to
copy someone's idea though, because you still have to write the program and
make it work.  However, with only a week to go, they must be fairly close to
finalizing their programming anyway.

Sonya