From:
Phil Smith III <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Phil Smith III <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Sep 2017 21:53:57 -0400
Water that goes down a storm drain is stormwater, not wastewater.

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.jocogov.org_faq_1255&d=DwIFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=k6Oa5GxfBPFMgGjb2r5QIoEOeBZs9xbNIpA0kLw_kFQ&m=6STfgRNUGZFV6wf19NfS0TuvdcZq4phLwus8RikZ9f0&s=GSqSQuVp4-_p3VhMjaChvNsp25Booyy2D4h7XChdKk8&e=

from https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.ycua.org_Mainstream_Spring99.pdf-3A&d=DwIFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=k6Oa5GxfBPFMgGjb2r5QIoEOeBZs9xbNIpA0kLw_kFQ&m=6STfgRNUGZFV6wf19NfS0TuvdcZq4phLwus8RikZ9f0&s=3IRDIxLOfwFNgjreBqtTKV4Bi5iZj3yM8U06WSs362U&e=

Many people are curious about the difference between stormwater and wastewater. Here are some definitions:

Stormwater consists of rain or property drainage (via irrigation). Stormwater can be funneled into ditches, storm sewers and rivers. In our area, stormwater eventually drains into the Huron River, or the Raisin River, without receiving any treatment.

Wastewater is the water disposed of in sinks, toilets, and floor drains by households and businesses. State and Federal regulations require that wastewater receive proper treatment before being released into the environment. Most wastewater in the YCUA service area is collected by sanitary sewers for treatment at the WWTP.

Treated wastewater is called effluent.

--

Phil Smith III

Coach, The Capital Girls (retired)