From:
Curt Tran <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Curt Tran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Sep 2012 16:00:43 -0400
Donna, You gave some really great suggestion.

Tom, Look like your team did a really great job of promoting FLL.  Make sure the kids bring this up with the judges at their competition as this is one of the core values of sharing our FLL experience with other.

I know it is very challenging in deciding who to cut.  We had the same problem several years ago at my son middle school, but we were lucky to have registered the 2nd team on time.  FIRST’s mission “is to inspire young people to be science and technology leaders, by engaging them…” -- so how to do that if we chase them away when they want to participate.

A suggestion is to break the group of 18 into two teams and have them compete for the honor of representing the school at the FLL tournament this year.  You can use the FLL rubrics and asked for teacher volunteers to judge and select the winning team.  Your schedule will be tight since you will have to have the face-off a week or so before actual regional tournament.  Try to register for a competition of the third (last) week of competition so you can get some more time.  You might have to travel a little further, and can ask for some consideration if you don’t get that week.  Just flip a coin to see which team to register on-line; and you can swap the winning team roster on competition day if needed.  The loosing team can still come to the FLL tournament to experience all the excitement and just to have fun cheering for their school.

Best wishes,

T. (Curt) Tran

Judges Advisor, GMU Regional ’11

Judges Advisor, TJHSST Regional ’09