From:
Anant Narayanan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Anant Narayanan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Nov 2014 08:44:03 -0500
Nick & Co are probably overloaded with the incredible demands of putting on
the largest FLL event in the world, largely using JMU students and
volunteer labor, and so here are a couple of suggestions for teams heading
to the Championship Tournament who don't have prior knowledge of schedules
or practices.

This is not an official VA_DC FLL e-mail.  I am just a do-gooder, trying to
add to the confusion in good-natured spirit.

*A.  Registration*

*The so-called team-registration is mainly about payment. * You can pay the
$150 registration fee online using a credit card using the link that Jeff
Schoolcraft had posted (there is  $2.50 convenience fee):

https://commerce.cashnet.com/JMUVADCFLL

DO NOT click on the register button on the va-dc fll championship
registration site -- this leads you to a "site maintenance message" at
https://quikpayasp.com/maintenance.html?orderType=VADCFLL.

DO NOT try the first link that Nick sent out on Nov. 17.
https://commerce.cashnet.com/cashneta/selfserve/BrowseCatalog.aspx. This
just leads you to a three-part error message.

*Online Payment*
Online Payment requires just four pieces of information:
Name (this should be the coach/payor's name (ideally with the team name in
parenthesis afterwards)
E-Mail (for payment confirmation)
Address (for payment authentication using the zip code)
Team Number (double check, please!)

I recommend that teams who have registered online e-mail Dustin Skelton <
[log in to unmask]> when they have done so, with the following text in the
subject line:

*Team nnnnn <Team Name> registered online for 2014 FLL Championship
Tournament*
This will help him keep track of registrations without having to open the
e-mail (unless it becomes necessary).

*Check/PO Payment*
If you pay by check or PO, I suggest you do the following:
1.  Notify Dustin Skelton by e-mail <[log in to unmask]> of your payment plan
ASAP (this means now!).  The check can reach later, but the e-mail must
reach now.  I recommend that the subject line read:
*Team nnnnn <Team Name> sending <PO/Check> for 2014 FLL Championship
Tournament*
2.  Mail the payment to VA-DC FLL (Attn:  Nick Swayne/Dustin Skelton) at
James Madison University
800 South Main, MSC 6911
Harrisonburg VA  22807

Stop following the above instructions when official instructions arrive.

*B.  Hotel Reservations:*
Steele Meetings handles all FIRST hotel arrangements, including the World
Festival.  The big shindig that is the VA-DC FLL Championship Tournament,
is listed in their system as a Regional Tournament.  If you click on
Championship reservations, you will get a hotel in St. Louis in April.
Resist the temptation to plan that far ahead -- all technology management
is about handling short-term crises.

*C.  Activity Reservations:*
New Technology is being deployed for the first time (what a year, it began
a year ago with the Government Healthcare rollout!).  Be prepared for
unexpected results.  Don't run red lights to be the first to sign-up.
While some kid may seem heartbroken at not having got the 3D printer choice
(or whatever else proves hot this year), please console them that 4D and 5D
printing are just round the corner.  The more things change, the more they
remain same ...

Regardless, don't forget to have fun.  Getting to Harrisonburg is the
journey we all seek.  However, what happens in Harrisonburg must stay in
Harrisonburg.

Narayanan Founder & Executive Director*

*McLean Robotics Institute*

* McLean VA 22102 202-421-3826 (cell) [log in to unmask]