Sender:
First Lego League Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Nov 2008 14:40:18 -0500
8bit
From:
Phil Smith III <[log in to unmask]>
I would encourage them to do ONE mission and compete. They'll have fun, they'll learn a lot, and nobody is going to laugh at them (honest -- that's part of Gracious Professionalism). If it helps, tell them that teams that have scored over 300 have also had ZERO POINT runs in the same tournament!

There are usually a couple of missions that are easy to do with a basic robot that goes straight out and straight back. Such a basic robot needs no sensors, and can use the simplest program. Who knows, they might get one mission working and then see others that they can do equally easily -- the KISS principle applies!

I know, that isn't what you asked. If they really aren't going to show up at the tables, then that's not entirely fair to the teams scheduled to compete against them.

I'll need to know ASAP what their decision is, as I'm planning to generate final Sterling competition schedules Real Soon Now.

Again, however, I'd really, really encourage them not to withdraw!
--
Phil Smith III
Virginia State Judge Advisor, 2007, 2008

Coach, The Capital Girls, Oak Hill (retired)
Team 1900 (2002)
Team 2497 (2003)
Team 2355 (2004)
Team 1945 (2005)