From:
Phil Smith III <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Phil Smith III <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Aug 2018 14:52:42 -0400
Yes! Start a team. It’s not hard: you have a family room/basement, and hey, YOU won’t have to drive your kid to meetings if they meet at your house (nor will the others, if you can really cobble together a true “neighborhood” team).

The Capital Girls were a school team for the first couple of years, then the middle school wasn’t into FLL, so we went private. My recollection (it’s been over a decade) was that it was under $200/team member per season (for the challenge kit etc.). We picked up a used table for free, but building one isn’t hard: 4x8 plywood and a few pieces of 2x4, drywall screws, maybe some paint. You likely don’t need a light, nor a trestle if you don’t want one – the Girls just laid it on the floor. Maybe a few bucks of what you collect goes for T-shirts or swaps. If they go to State, there’s more cost there, of course—but that’s a good problem to have!

You probably want two coaches, plus *maybe* an assistant coach or two, or older-kid mentor(s). Since kids who are into STEM typically have at least one parent who’s a geek, he or she can help coach the technical part, and anyone can help with the non-technical part. Remember, the kids are doing the work: you’re mostly riding herd and keeping them focused, which is a parent skill, not an FLL skill.

Advantages of a neighborhood team include more flexibility in meeting times (since you’re not dependent on the school being open) and the ability to have fewer than ten kids on a team. With the right kids, ten is fine; with a rowdy mix, it can be a lot to manage (especially boys—you can say I’m biased but I’ve observed a LOT of teams over the last 15 years and I stand by that observation, not that I’d’ve been unhappy to coach the Capital Boys).

We usually met once a week until the home stretch, then twice a week. Lower impact than most any other activity! Try it, it’s a great investment of your time and energy.

--

Phil Smith III

Coach, The Capital Girls (retired)

Team 1900 (2002)