Scott Rakestraw <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 1 Nov 2015 20:54:33 -0500
Repost about Tournament Posters:

I have had some questions about posters that could benefit the group.  No posters are required but they can be helpful.  Do what works best for your team based on experience, time, resources and age.   All judging is done using a rubric, which can found at https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.firstlegoleague.org_sites_default_files_Official-5FEvent-5FInfo_combined-2Drubrics-2D2015.pdf&d=BQIFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=J5fb0ELkRoh7TzAGYz99sSMvB-c7i4AC0HDT2OVPrww&m=1PrQIuq8uKvCP9LBclQc7RMGscHFgVxIvKLlfELrwpE&s=PXUPPDL35SVazrsPs_tDYHI48OpPv3R1BeEvgIIQXG8&e= .   As a team, it is important to understand the rubric.  Below are some poster guidelines that might be helpful for teams that is based on what you typically see at tournaments.

Pit Area:
Teams will setup a trifold poster in the pit area.  It can be about the different aspects of the team – project, robot, people, etc.   There are no guidelines for this poster and it is not required.  It is very beneficial for getting to know other teams and for sharing your season.  A majority of teams have pit area posters.

Robot Design:
For technical, a poster or tri-fold is helpful to articulate the aspects of the technical rubric – Mechanical Design, Strategy, Programming and Strategy & Innovation.  At a minimum, have print outs of the programs to discuss.   It is not uncommon to see a technical notebook.   For robot design, be ready to run missions.  To optimize your team’s time, have the robot on and ready to run to missions.

Core Values:
No Core Values poster is required.  A core values poster can help the judges learn about your unique story and how your team embraced core values.

Project:
Each team has 5 minutes to present their project.  You can do this with posters, skits, sock puppets, etc.   The key is for the presentation to cover the Project Rubric and be 5 minutes.  The focus here is the presentation and only do a poster if it is part of your presentation.

Information Sheet
For judging rooms, please bring in the Team Information Sheet.  The template is available at https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.firstlegoleague.org_sites_default_files_Official-5FEvent-5FInfo_TeamInfoSheet-2Dfixed-2D12-2D2-2D11.pdf&d=BQIFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=J5fb0ELkRoh7TzAGYz99sSMvB-c7i4AC0HDT2OVPrww&m=1PrQIuq8uKvCP9LBclQc7RMGscHFgVxIvKLlfELrwpE&s=1dH9bGAYdUzSzX3M1yeUFBDfH5V6e7B_K35PrAgi-Xg&e= .  Each team needs a minimum of 4 copies, one for the registration and one for each judging room.  These are very helpful for remembering teams.

Scott Rakestraw
Judge Advisor

-----Original Message-----
From: First Lego League in Virginia and DC [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Sarah Oden
Sent: Sunday, November 1, 2015 5:22 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [VADCFLL-L] How many posters/display boards do we need?

I'm confused with how many posters/display boards our team needs for the tournament.  There is so much information out there, I don't know what is truly NEEDED and what is just nice to have.  A simple google search turns up thousands of examples of great boards for all kinds of things!

Do we need a Team Board?- our name, number, team members, etc.

Do we need a Research Board? We just went to a practice meet and some teams had boards, we did not.

Do we need a Core Values Board?  What is this?  Or do we just need to know what they are and give examples?

Any other boards?  I'm thinking tri-fold manufacturers love FIRST!  : -)

Thanks folks!
Sarah