From:
"Jones, Krystian Wyvonne - joneskw" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jones, Krystian Wyvonne - joneskw
Date:
Tue, 28 Aug 2018 21:19:21 +0000
Thank you all for the continued support of finding teams in a local area.

We understand the frustrations you are facing when it comes to finding a team.   Please know this is something that VA-DC FIRST LEGO League has been diligently working on.  As Scott Rakestraw mentioned in a previous email, there is a program called “Team-Up” that we are looking to implement . While it may not alleviate all, it will alleviate some of these frustrations.  If you or someone you know is willing and able to assist, please let myself or Scott know.

In the meantime, to start a team it is really easy!! All you need is 2 kids, 2 adults, the willingness to lead a team, and the kids do the rest!   The number of kids interested in this program are tremendous, but we need folks like you who are willing to take the leap of faith and provide positive leadership to new teams.  We understand this could be intimidating, but the resources out there for new coaches are great!  FIRST orchestrates a well thought out coaches handbook every year with beneficial information on how to start a team and how to be successful.  For those interested, I have provided the link here: https://www.firstinspires.org/sites/default/files/uploads/resource_library/fll/into-orbit/first-lego-league-coaches-handbook-20182019.pdf

The listserv is a great way to seek and receive sound advice from experienced coaches and mentors throughout the VA-DC region.  From what I have witnessed over the years, there is nothing but continued support and encouragement from local teams and leadership group when clarification or advice is requested.

An additional way to seek out support, or get more information is at a local coaches workshop.  There is currently one scheduled in Reston, VA on Sept. 28th I will be there along with a few of the head judges and referees in the area.  If you are interested in registering for this event, you can do so here: https://goo.gl/forms/UY0TNA7Lh5nftlsp1.

Plenty of teams around the area also host these types of events and I have seen on the listserv a few of these opportunities circulating already.  Thank you to those who have taken the time to host these types of events.  We encourage these teams to post them on to our calendar page to increase participation, get the word out, and share experiences.

If you are a team looking to host a coaches workshop, or already have one in the works, please post it on the listserv and add it to the calendar page here: https://va-dcfll.org/calendar/.

Thank you for your continued support and dedication to the program and I look forward to another successful year! 😊

Krystian Jones
Assistant Director VA-DC FIRST LEGO League &
FIRST LEGO League Jr.
(540) 568-2216
800 South Main St. MSC 0305
Harrisonburg, VA 22807