From:
"Thomas (Tweeks) Weeks" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Thomas (Tweeks) Weeks
Date:
Fri, 4 Dec 2015 16:03:37 +0000
Hey there Lego Minions!

Nice job on the pizza box research!

Just a word of caution.. This is exactly the type of solution that our group was researching.. and before talking to experts, we had come up with the to the exact same solution on out own.. that is.. until we went and spoke to our local MRF (recycling center) experts.

Before we spoke to the MRF people and pizza shop owners, we were very excited about our innovative foil solution.. as our experiments showed that not only did it keep the box from getting greasy, but that it also could keep the pizza up to 35deg WARMER for a full hour than could non-foil boxes!

However.. after actually reaching out to the experts, our solution became a problem (at least in our county).  Our MRF experts informed us that our county's new Single Stream recycling equipment can now not only process greasy pizza boxes.. but that inserting foil into the boxes would actually be worse for the single stream system BC cardboard systems separation stages are not designed to remove foil.. and you can't rely on people (end users) to do it.

Not only this.. but then when talking to local pizzeria shop owners, THEYs told us that using foil didn't work for them bc they cut the pizza IN the box, and that doing so with foil under the pizza ends up with little strips of foil embedded in the pizza.

The pizza shop owners tols us that there WAS an acceptable option  (for them) of using foil coated paper (as seen as some classic burger stands around some hamburgers), but the MRF folks again told us that this paper/foil combo could not be reliably separated or recycled.. especially if it was left in the pizza box.

The devil is always in the details.

Our MRF told us that the biggest help would be to launch an educational initiative to teach all the locals that our county can now accept pizza boxes in the recycling stream as long as there was no left over food in the box, and that they needed help reeducating the public on this false dichotomy (of no pizza boxes in the recycling stream).. (at least for our county)

Here's photos of the pizza-box educational program we came up with:

[cid:51f74fc5-5ef3-4249-aabe-4f5b1197b8d0]

(click next to see the photos from out pizza boxes educational stickers we did at our area pizzerias):

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.flickr.com_photos_cultureinstigator_22531012197_in_album-2D72157660318517358_&d=BQIFAw&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=J5fb0ELkRoh7TzAGYz99sSMvB-c7i4AC0HDT2OVPrww&m=Im_uRLv96ve8RUCycDatowpUfwrZ52EmIWt1msC1BzQ&s=vZAstdUj9QgTxSOzWVG1AXM82b2OUCdkN1O0me8u0mI&e=

One note.. not ALL single stream recycling centers can do this.. so give your local recycling MRF a call and just ask them a few questions!

Thomas "Tweeks" Weeks

Coach of the Fire Breathing Robber Duckies

Blacksburg VA

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.facebook.com_FLL19237_&d=BQIFAw&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=J5fb0ELkRoh7TzAGYz99sSMvB-c7i4AC0HDT2OVPrww&m=Im_uRLv96ve8RUCycDatowpUfwrZ52EmIWt1msC1BzQ&s=m781-vYRA-qeF2Q6wgRtJx_gvPWQAVSkCjE19qBfYW8&e=