From:
Tom Spalthoff <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tom Spalthoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Oct 2016 19:51:44 +0000
Being a new coach, it's a natural thing to wonder about.

From my experiences with a number of first-year teams, if you get 3 missions done, you're doing pretty well, especially 4th graders. The official answer, of course, is that there's no right number, but as a parent, you want them to have a positive experience.

But here's the thing: the parents care much more about the scores and the rankings and the number of missions completed than the kids do. The kids will have a blast at the tournament, and they will feel a sense of accomplishment regardless of how many points they get. You'll also be up against other Division 1 teams who may have some experience, so set your expectations accordingly.

We had our first "ah ha!" moment yesterday when my team completed their first mission. They called the rest of the team over, asked them to take a quick break from the things they were working on and see what they did. There were smiles and high-fives all around. This is what it's really about - the competition is just a party to celebrate it all.

Expect that you'll come back enthused and excited for next year, with plenty of time to build on what you've learned this year. It's a great ride.

--Tom