Robot Bill <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 13 Oct 2014 08:52:29 -0400
Prasanna,

Welcome to FIRST LEGO League. I hope you and your team have a FUN season!

Since I have not seen any other responses to your question, I thought I
would offer my interpretation of the rules (provided below):

   - Except for the end of the match (Rule 51), you can *always* pickup
   your robot during the match. The real question I think you are asking is
   what will the referee do when she or he is enforcing the rules (e.g. will
   you get a penalty?)
   - Since the cargo was not with the robot "during the most recent start"
      and you touched the robot when it "has cargo OUTSIDE BASE", the referee
      takes that cargo out of play.
      - Assuming you touched an "autonomous robot which is OUTSIDE BASE",
      you will also get a Robot Penalty

*Rationale:*
http://www.firstlegoleague.org/sites/default/files/Challenge/FLL_WORLD_CLASS/FLL-WORLD-CLASS-Challenge-FINAL-v2.pdf

16 - Cargo - *Cargo is any strategic object or mission model the robot has
with it for transport or release.* Objects in accidental contact, objects
fully released, and objects “all done being pushed” are not cargo.

27 - In - An object is “in,” “into,” or has “reached” an area if any bit of
that object crosses the area’s perimeter.

   - Said another way... To be “in” an area is to penetrate the volume over
   or below what defines that area.
   - Barely “in” is considered “in” unless “COMPLETELY in” is required.
   - “Touching” is not part of the requirement for being “in.”
   - Objects are ruled on independent of each other, and independent of
   their transports/containers.

— Exception: A cluster of small objects is considered one object.

   - “Out” and *“outside” always mean COMPLETELY out.*

44 - Cargo Penalty - *Any time you touch the robot, no matter where it is,
if it has cargo OUTSIDE BASE it didn’t have during the most recent start,
the referee takes that cargo out of play.*

43 - Robot Penalty - These occur whenever you touch an autonomous robot
which is OUTSIDE BASE. The penalty’s value is given in the Missions, below.

51 - The Scoring Process

   - END-OF-MATCH SCORING - Most of your score depends on the conditions at
   the exact time the match ends.
   - The field is the evidence of most of your score... *When the match
   ends, PLEASE DON’T TOUCH ANYTHING!* The referee first needs time to
   record the condition of the field on a score sheet and come to agreement
   with you (kids only) about what points were scored or missed and why.

*Penalties*
If a Robot, Sprawl, or Junk penalty earned (as described in the Rules), the
referee keeps account by obvious placement of these penalty markers in some
manner as to stay out of the way of you and your robot. Loss of cargo is
its own penalty.
*Robot*, Sprawl, or Junk *Penalty*: -10 EACH
(Max Penalties Of These Types = -80)
Cargo Penalty: Loss Of Cargo