From:
"Aucoin, Bill (ES)" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Aucoin, Bill (ES)
Date:
Wed, 9 Nov 2011 20:43:34 +0000
The common interpretation is the base extends to the outside edge of the line (“the perimeter of the Base area”), except for the west border, where it extends past the line to the side border wall. See rule 8:

8 — BASE
Base is an imaginary box formed by vertical walls that rise from the perimeter of the Base area, including the inside surface of the borderwalls, and by an invisible ceiling 16 in (40 cm) high.
• This means Base is not just an area on the mat – it’s a VOLUME.
• Usually there is a gap between the mat and a side border wall… Base includes this gap.
• Anything in the team’s possession is understood to count as being in Base, and is okay to store or handle.