Sender:
From:
Lloyd O'Hara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 2010 16:30:07 -0400
Julie,

Personally, and yes I realize they sent out the email with the copyright info, etc, I think this is one area where FIRST is out-of-bounds.  Legally, yes they do have a copyright and want to control how the logo is used, however, we are talking about teams of young kids that pay big bucks to participate, generally hold FIRST in very high regard, are the best advertising FIRST could ever wish to have, and are not trying to use the logo to make money.

That having been said, I'd say (disclaimer: I am not a lawyer nor do I play one on tv), do what you need to do to get the logo on the sleeve of your team's shirt.  If FIRST wants to come down to Va and cutoff the sleaves and/or confiscate the shirts, so be it.

Lloyd