From:
"Swayne, Dominic - swaynedd" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Swayne, Dominic - swaynedd
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 2010 12:33:01 +0000
Frustrated new coaches.

Take a minute and read about the DARPA challenge from about 5 years ago.  Whole teams of university faculty, industry teams and scientists worked to have a "car" drive around a desert track.  It took at least two years for the first team to finish the task.  The robots went off course, stalled for no good reason, got stuck, broke down, etc.  Google is just now figuring out how to drive a car on a real road (Google!).  How many of NASA's missions have gone screwy after launch?  It's hard work to make a reliable robot - even with LEGOs - maybe harder with LEGOs because they look like toys but (for our purposes) are not.  But boy does it feel great when the kids get it right and everything works!

I've never seen a program like this (FIRST) that would cause kids to spend so much time working together and solving problems, working through the frustrations and failures and doggedly figuring it out.  As a team they'll get better every year.

I hope that each of your team members pursue tough, technically challenging degrees in college and go on to solve big problems - and when they hit the wall in calculus, computer science, engineering or physics - and just can't figure out why something isn't working...they'll have the skills they need to work through it because of what they're doing right now.

Best of luck this in the tournaments,

Nick