VADCJRFLL-L Archives

June 2012

VADCJRFLL-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Sally Sylvester <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 20 Jun 2012 17:52:48 -0400
Hello Jr.FLL Friends,

Yesterday alone there were 5 notices on the listserve from people
looking for a Jr.FLL team for their
child to join.  I want to jump in and share some important information.
 Although it is possible to
find an existing team that has an opening for your child, it is highly
unlikely.  Not to worry, however,
your child can still be on a Jr.FLL team and it isn't difficult to make
happen.  Jr.FLL is an incredible
program that really does inspire young children in science and
technology and begins to teach
them life skills such as team work, time management and giving
presentations.

Jr.FLL is a for children ages 6-9 (K-3rd grade) and one that isn't
difficult to coach.
I would encourage all of you to consider coaching a team, it is a fun
and rewarding experience, not
only for the students but for the coaches as well.  Coaches receive a
coaches guide and other resource
materials such as a sample schedule and activities so you will have
guidance along the way.
We hope to also offer some coaches workshops around the state for
Jr.FLL.

Jr.FLL registration opens on August 1st and remains open until sometime
in April 2013.
What that means is that Jr.FLL is very flexible and teams can choose
the season that they would like to
participate.  Teams generally meet for about 6-8 weeks.

Teams are composed of 2-6 students and can be formed through schools,
neighborhoods, community
groups, scouts, church, friends, etc.  There is a different real world
theme each year and the theme
for the upcoming season is Super Seniors.  Teams will be studying ways
to improve the quality of
life for seniors.  In addition to building with LEGOS, teams will be
learning about the challenges facing
seniors today and ways to improve their quality of life.  Field trips
to senior centers and facilities,
visits with grandparents etc. will be great ways for teams to see first
hand what life is like for seniors.

As a Jr.FLL team, students will be building a LEGO model with moving
parts.  They will also make a
Show-Me Poster to document their journey.   The model and Show-Me
Poster can be shared
with other teams at Jr.FLL Expos - fun events where teams come together
to celebrate and share
what they have learned.  There are not tournaments in Jr.FLL and
everyone is a winner at an Expo.

Registration is done on-line and costs $25.00.  Once your team is
registered you will have access to
the coaches guide, the challenge and other resource materials.  Teams
can either order a LEGO kit
or even use their own LEGOS and maybe order a few additional parts.

For more information on Jr.FLL, please go to www.usfirst.org and  click
on Jr.FLL.

I hope to see many of you at Jr.FLL Expos this Super Senior season.  I
guarantee, if you decide to
coach a team you will be glad you did!!  No technical skills needed,
just the desire to have fun
with a group of young students and to provide an incredible opportunity
they won't forget!!

Sally Sylvester
Senior Mentor Virginia