VADCJRFLL-L Archives

May 2019

VADCJRFLL-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

Sender:
Junior FIRST LEGO League in Virginia and DC <[log in to unmask]>
From:
"Ilnitzki, Kaitlin Schuyler - ilnitzks" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 May 2019 15:13:43 +0000
Hello VA-DC FIRST family

As many of you know, the country was deeply saddened by the reports of the shooting that took place in Colorado earlier this week.  Many of you may not be aware that we lost a member of our FIRST family.  Here is a message from FIRST President, Don Bossi…

“It is with great sadness I share that the FIRST community lost one of our own. We are heartbroken by the death of Kendrick Castillo, a student victim of the shooting at STEM School Highlands Ranch in Littleton, Colorado. Kendrick was an active member of FIRST Robotics Competition Team 4418, STEM IMPULSE, of which his father is a lead mentor. His mom is also a mentor/volunteer for the team.

You can read more about Kendrick’s life and his incredible selflessness and bravery at Denver Post<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.denverpost.com_2019_05_08_kenrick-2Dcastillo-2Dvictim-2Dstem-2Dshooting-2Dhighlands-2Dranch_&d=DwMF-g&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=I07jayWX0XebokY8Z2cZqw&m=NHghiLLJC-vsd3MSDXJ5GFxEy4UHm59BJIV81cxxYrg&s=zaEn7ND3s0AsAYc2DNVbs0hm69DsvQ5lqTzhPvjszGU&e=> and CNN<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.cnn.com_2019_05_08_us_denver-2Dstem-2Dshooting-2Dheroes-2Drun-2Dhide-2Dfight_index.html&d=DwMF-g&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=I07jayWX0XebokY8Z2cZqw&m=NHghiLLJC-vsd3MSDXJ5GFxEy4UHm59BJIV81cxxYrg&s=T3eqCUMrn_5-4GyKXvVjxY7aoRPZxpiKphb7nNnOL8A&e=>. All reports indicate he was an exemplary FIRST student, with strong character and a bright future ahead. Our hearts go out to Kendrick’s family, friends, peers, and all affected by the shooting.

We know our teams, alumni, volunteers, and supporters around the world are mourning with Team 4418. FIRST stands with Team 4418, their school, and the entire Littleton community during this incredibly difficult time.  For members of the FIRST community wishing to support Team 4418, FIRST has launched a fundraising campaign in support of Team 4418 and the family<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__give.firstinspires.org_campaign_team-2D4418-2Dvictim-2Dsupport-2Dand-2Dmemorial-2Dfund_c234591&d=DwMF-g&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=I07jayWX0XebokY8Z2cZqw&m=NHghiLLJC-vsd3MSDXJ5GFxEy4UHm59BJIV81cxxYrg&s=BhLBRZyjtBYDl4SnvYeC65Bs-y3uzr8rblL0WNjDlh8&e=> as they mourn and remember Kendrick and recover with all the victims in their community.”

In addition to the efforts of FIRST, many of our amazing programs across the state of Virginia are coming together to celebrate the life of Kendrick and support his family and friends.  If you are in the Prince William Country area on Saturday, May 11th, FRC Team 2068, the Metal Jackets will be donating half of their concession stand sales to Kendrick’s family, as well as collecting any donations at the Fun Day event happening at Osbourne Park High School.  They will also be honoring Kendrick during a celebration for graduating seniors, as Kendrick would be graduating this year and was planning to major in electrical engineering.

Thank you for everything you do and for all the ways you support our FIRST family.

Kaitlin Ilnitzki
Assistant Director VA-DC FIRST LEGO League &
FIRST LEGO League Jr.
(540) 568-2216
800 South Main St. MSC 0305
Harrisonburg, VA 22807