Help for VADCJRFLL-L Archives

VADCJRFLL-L Archives

VADCJRFLL-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

VADCJRFLL-L Home

VADCJRFLL-L  February 2019

VADCJRFLL-L February 2019

Re: Looking for a Team in the Springfield, Va area

"Jones, Krystian Wyvonne - joneskw" <[log in to unmask]>

Jones, Krystian Wyvonne - joneskw

Mon, 25 Feb 2019 19:12:14 +0000

Thank you for your interest in FIRST LEGO League Jr.!

FIRST LEGO League Jr. is geared towards kids ages 6-10 & FIRST LEGO League is geared toward ages 9-14.

Each year, FIRST LEGO League Jr. presents a new and exciting Challenge to ignite the creativity of children age 6 to 10. Each team of up to 6 children begins the exploration of this real-world theme with an exclusive LEGO Education Inspire Model. Using this model as a starting point, they design a new model of their own with LEGO elements. As they work, they learn basic engineering and programming skills with LEGO Education WeDo and apply those concepts to make their model move. Teams also document their work in an Engineering Notebook and share their journey through a team Show Me Poster. Throughout their experience, teams operate under the FIRST LEGO League Jr. Core Values, celebrating discovery, teamwork, and Gracious Professionalism.

Mission Moon 2018-2019 Season-https://www.firstinspires.org/robotics/flljr/challenge-and-season
 	FIRST LEGO League Jr. Challenge & Season Info | FIRST
www.firstinspires.org
FIRST designs accessible, innovative programs that build not only science and technology skills, but also self-confidence, leadership, and life skills.

If you are looking for teams, we highly recommend first looking into your child’s school to see if a team has already been established and inquire about joining that team.  If a team has not been established, talk with your child’s teacher about the program to gauge their interest and the schools motivation to starting at team.  You are more than welcome to give them my contact information and I will be happy to answer any questions that may arise.

A second option is to start your own team with your child and a few of their friends (this is easier than it seems).

When registration opens, you will want to register your team with FIRST (firstinspires.org).  There will be a $99 registration fee that will get you an inspire kit, and your national team number.  If you are new team you will need to purchase the We.Do 2.0 which generally runs around $179.95+shipping and handling.  FIRST & LEGO recently made this mandatory to participate in an expo.  In order to participate in a locally run expo, that charge will be $50.

A third option is to find a community group to start a FIRST LEGO League Jr. or FIRST LEGO League team.  You can reach out to the local community on our listserv (https://listserv.jmu.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=VADCJRFLL-L).  If your child is involved in boy/girl scouts, a church organization, children’s museum etc., that is also a great place to start.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions and I will be happy to help!

Krystian Jones
Assistant Director VA-DC FIRST LEGO League &
FIRST LEGO League Jr.
(540) 568-2216
800 South Main St. MSC 0305
Harrisonburg, VA 22807