VADCJRFLL-L Archives

October 2014

VADCJRFLL-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

Sender:
Junior FIRST LEGO League in Virginia and DC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Oct 2014 10:02:01 -0400
From:
Wendy Newton <[log in to unmask]>
Hi Amy,
One of the big goals with Jr.FLL is providing the kids the opportunity to
start learning about how to make decisions and work together within the
framework of a team and the rules. When we started in Jr.FLL 4 years ago,
it took my team 2 days to pick a team name and another 2 days to decide on
the snack to research. Because to each of them their idea was the best.
What my kids started using was a pros and cons system. For each of the
items they make a T chart on a piece of paper and take turns adding what
might be a pro or con to each choice. After they finished they had a visual
that showed clearly where more pros or cons lay and they could see which
one they should pick.
This is the perfect time for them to adopt a method to help them. My team
is now in its 3rd year of FLL and the kids are still doing pros and cons,
they have a whiteboard they use now.
Wendy