FEAST-L Archives

May 2008

FEAST-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Ásta Sveinsdóttir <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Feminist ethics and social theory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 May 2008 21:51:16 -0700
Dear all,

I very much applaud the mentoring program just initiated. I think it
crucial that the mentors be people whose position is not at risk for
structural reasons. Given the world we live in these days (this is
different in other countries and would have been different during
other time periods) the potential mentors are likely to be tenured
professors (or associate professors) of philosophy. As has been
pointed out on this list, the discussion and the reality people most
people on this list live with is Americo-centric, and, of course, in
different parts of the world structural vulnerability (or relative
lack thereof) is tied to different positions, but here in the States
at this point in time (and for the last few decades), tenure brings
job security and decreased structural vulnerability.

I think it is counterproductive to attack people who are working very
hard from within a certain hierarchical system to change that system.
I also think that when we do that, we are not appreciating their great
effort and (is it worse?) we show lack of compassion for their
predicament.

I know of many members of this list who have worked tirelessly for the
inclusion of various kinds of people within the profession of
philosophy. Most of the time we don't know about their efforts, --the
various fights that left them drained and eager to take up some other
vocation. But I know I have benefited from these fights, and I think a
lot of us have.

Criticism of the current structure of American academia is healthy;
attacking people who are working within that structure to change it
for the better is not.

Ásta

Dr. Ásta Sveinsdóttir
Assistant Professor of Philosophy