FEAST-L Archives

May 2008

FEAST-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

Feminist ethics and social theory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 May 2008 19:40:53 -0700
Renee, Alison, Ann, and All,

Like many of you, I’m in the midst of grading final exams and final
papers.  Due to time constraints my comments here will be more brief than
might be ideal.

First, I feel as if I must reply to Renee on at least one issue that seems
quite personal given this public forum, but I don’t feel that I can ignore
certain comments.  Renee stated (in regards to myself), “I think defining
oneself around a social construct and making that construct the most
salient thing about you actually shows a deep paradigmatic
misunderstanding of gender as feminist analysis understands it.” This
comment seems very presumptuous and even condescending.  I assure you,
Renee, if you knew me at all, you wouldn’t feel comfortable making such
claims.  Of course, my identity is as complicated and interesting as your
own. Have I chosen to meld part of my identity to a social
construction?....Sure. As have most of us.  Attaching one’s sense of self
to the identities of woman, man, athlete, feminist, white, liberal,
conservative, democrat, republican …is relevantly similar.

There are a number of interesting issues that have surfaced in the last
few emails….Here are a few comments.

In the last few emails (in this thread) there have been references to the
“transmovement” or the “Trans-world” or “trans-ideology.”  Such talk
reminds me of the joke of a few years ago about the “Gay-Agenda.”  The
joke identified the “Gay Agenda” as having to do with “drinking mimosas at
Sunday Brunch….grooming small dogs….and catching the sales at Macy’s.”
The point was not to perpetuate stereotypes of gay men, but to poke fun at
those who spoke of the “Gay Agenda” as some powerful homogeneous movement
that had a common goal or strategy.   Similarly, there is no one
“Trans-ideology” or “Trans-movement.”  There are, however, a number of
trans-rights groups, trans-education groups, outspoken trans-individuals
and theorists who write on trans related issues.  If one is to disagree
with any viewpoint expressed by a trans-rights organization or a
transperson, it seems only fair to identify that person/organization by
name.  No one person or organization speaks for all transpersons.

One thing that I so appreciate about feminist communities is that, while
individuals may disagree with regards to certain fine theoretical points
of feminist theory, the grass-roots character of the movement is never too
distant.  That is, feminism remains to be about the actual lives of women,
and the harms that come from subordination, objectification, sexualized
violence... etc. Those who disagree with regard to theory do, from my
experience, come together and prioritize these real life issues.  Here is
my worry: that when one focuses on theoretical issues of gender theory or
trans-theory, or on the views of one transperson, the grave harms that
transpersons are subject to in this society get lost and go
unacknowledged.  I spend the bulk of my professional life involved in
researching and discussing theory, but I spend a great deal of my personal
energies on a more grass roots level.  This involves talking to other
tranpersons about how to keep oneself safe from violence, how to avoid
losing one’s job, how to deal with the psychological establishment, etc.
It is difficult for some transpersons to participate in society (even at a
minimal level) without feeling constantly in danger of violence.  This is
real.  The intersections between trans-rights and feminism are obvious to
me.   Feminist theory can help explain why a transman is raped to be
“shown a lesson” that he is “really a woman,” or why a transwoman might
suffer harassment (or worse) when she is read as a woman by others, or,
(paradoxically) if she is identified as trans.  Similarly, understanding
why “sissy boys” and “butchy girls” are harassed by schoolmates involves a
propagation of certain myths regarding the nature of boyhood or girlhood.
Yes, of course, there are many such examples of how a feminist perspective
explains such experiences.

A post from Renee asked what I mean when I said that I had “crossed the
great gender divide.”  I meant these words to refer to the fact that I am
a post-transition female-to-male transsexual.  Perhaps this was not
understood.  I transitioned at age 41, after decades of identifying as a
feminist. I’m not sure how big a box I need to stand on to show you that
feminist transmen exist. (This is a joke…I’m quite short in stature, but
the image works.)  Do I reference my publications? The content of my
lectures?  My life history? Write a manifesto? Or explain how now,
post-transition, I can tell my students (in both philosophy and women’s
studies) that, as a man, I’m less frequently interrupted, that my
competence (particularly of what might be seen as “male subject matter”)
is less questioned, and that, yes, I have been the recipient of male
privilege by those who don’t know the details of my history.  As a
philosopher who happens to be trans, I recognize that any explanations of
my trans-identity are speculative and theoretical, it is my life
experiences that are not. Your view, Renee, doesn’t seem to allow the
experiences of transpersons to have any voice at all, and this to me, is
not just anti-feminist, but deeply disrespectful.

Loren.