FEAST-L Archives

May 2008

FEAST-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Nicole Garner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Feminist ethics and social theory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 May 2008 16:00:11 -0400
Hilde
Thanks!
I think maybe I misunderstood the program, I didnt know it was about helping students learn to get tenure.  That makes it easy, if i teach it wont be at a so called traditional 4 year uni anyway, it will be right where i started out at asmall branch of a state univeristy so I guess this would be of no benefit to me and I cant be OK with something that excludes amazing people on the basis of what student population they feel they can be of more benefit to or are much more comfortable around.  The 2 people im 2working on joint projects with are amazing and have published alot of really good books and have been at the same school for over twenty years, they arent members of this, philosophy is the basis of their work but they arent phil professors but I am sure there are also philosophers who have chosen to work in venues where tenure is rarely available who are just as amazing, that is what i hope for myself if i decide to teach.  I guess as usual Im in the monority.  Im not say!
!
ing anything bad about those who work in venues where most have tenure, I have 2 from my undergrad who are very amazing who work in that kind of setting who have been both very important and very supportive of my work.  I just cant be a part of anything that excludes on that basis.
Thanks!
Best
Nicole
We cant find world peace when theres a war on the streets, mos our teenagers murdered or growin up wit AIDS, that the life we livin in our Ghetto
2pac Shakur, Ghetto Gospel