VADCFLL-L  September 2008

VADCFLL-L September 2008

Re: Project Dilemma

Randy Greene <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 20 Sep 2008 13:59:45 -0400

     I see the challenge as things we can do as the climate is changing.
  Our team talked about local climate and things like watering grass.
We also talked about polar bears becoming extinct because their Artic
ice packs are melting and they are drowning and starving to death.  No
matter the political debate about the cause, the fact of warming is not
contested in the scientific community.  The challenge is "what can we
do about it"?  Certainly these are complex questions, the solutions of
which will require our children to be educated on science and
technology;  one of the primary aims of the FIRST project!  And just as
importantly, open discussion of the issues and the science behind them
is a plus;  I applaud the FIRST organization for choosing the topic.

-- Randy
Fairfield Court Eaglebots

No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message.
We do concede, however, that a significant number of electrons may have
been inconvenienced.

-----Original Message-----
From: Donna L. Cornwell <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Sat, 20 Sep 2008 1:20 pm
Subject: Re: [VADCFLL-L] Project Dilemma

When I first looked at the project I assumed it that the children were
to look at how to reverse global warming.

After reading your email, I went back and looked at the description
again. It says "how climate affects your community." It distinguishes
clima
te from weather. It doesn't say climate change.

My new personal interpretation is that we look at the local climate --
whether you are in a desert, somewhere with excessively cold winters,
etc. For example, in the DC area we have hot dry weather in mid-summer
and alot of money is spent watering lawns. A solution might be to look
for grasses more suited to the local climate.

Is this how others read the problem? Climate not changes in climate
seems to be the topic.

Donna Cornwell

Nicholas Duan wrote:
> Our team is experiencing some difficulty in identifying the right
research topic. This is the dilemma we are facing:

> This year's project is to "Research how climate affects your own
community. Identify a problem caused by climate in your area, analyze
climate data about the problem, and discover what your community is
doing about it". So the assumption made here is that the climate change
is already taking place and we need to find some solution to adopt it,
rather than some ways to combat or change it. So the problems to be
identified would be some damages caused by the climate (like drought or
flood), not some thing that may cause climate changes. So any topic
that deals with CO2 and global warming would be out of scope. >
> Another issue is that after analyzing the local weather data for the
past 30 years,=2
0we found none variation of climate conditions at all. It
is hard (if not impossible) statistically to correlate local weather
with flood or drought. In another words, it is very difficult to
establish any scientific evidence that the natural disasters were
caused by climate changes. Even the scientists couldn't agree among
themselves on the right causes. So the "Connection" part may not be
there at all.

> I'm not sure if other teams were facing the same problem. Any
suggestions to help us back on the right track would be highly
appreciated.

> Nick

Stafford, VA?

>> Thank you >>
>> Stephanie M. Ennis, Science Department Head
>> Battlefield Middle School
>> 11120 Leavells Road
>> Fredericksburg, VA 22407
>> 540-786-4400 ext. 2104
>> "There is no better high than discovery."
>> -E.O. Wilson
>>
>> "Teaching should be such that what is offered >> is perceived as a
valuable gift and not a hard duty."
>> -Albert Einstein

<37BDD2FAF2AEAE459C
, "Gatuku, Pankaja [USA]" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> Hi!,
>>
>> My son Shreyas is 11yrs old in 6th Grade studying in Eagle Ridge >>
MiddleSchool located in Ashburn, VA. My phone number is 571-334-
>> 6311. >>
>> Do you have any openings in any existing team that he can join for
the
>> upcoming league. >>
>> Thanks,
>> Pankaja

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 9:06 AM

 >> sponsored >> >>>> team. The next best option is to send a note out
to the VA-DC >>>> >> FLL >> >>>> list-serve with your general
geographic area and contact info. >>>> >> All >> >>>> th
e Virginia
coaches and tournament directors are on the list-

*Sent:* Tuesday, September 09, 2008 5:23 PM

designs complex >>>> vehicles and structures, can you please send me
more >>>> >> information on >> >>>> how to register or will he has to
attend any classes in >>>> >> Virginia area

 >> there is >> >>>> chance still for registration if the slots are not
filled by >>>> >> mid >> >>>> September. Can you please send me more
information.

>>> Ralph F. Grove Jr., Ph.D., Associate Professor, Graduate >>> >>
Coordinator >> >>> James Madison University Department of Computer
Science >>> [log in to unmask] >>> 540/568-6288 http://grove.cs.jmu.edu

>> Ralph F. Grove Jr., Ph.D., Associate Professor, Graduate Coordinator
>> James Madison University Department of Computer Science >>
[log in to unmask] >> 540/568-6288 http://grove.cs.jmu.edu >>
FLL administrative announcements will be distributed - visit >>
https://listserv.jmu.edu/archives/vadcfll-admin-l.html and select >>

FLL administrative announcements will be distributed - visit >>
https://listserv
.jmu.edu/archives/vadcfll-admin-l.html and select >>

administrative announcements will be distributed - visit
https://listserv.jmu.edu/archives/vadcfll-admin-l.html and select "Join
or leave the list".

> Text inserted by Panda IS 2008:
>
> This message has NOT been classified as spam. If it is unsolicited
mail (spam), click on the following link to reclassify it:
http://localhost:6083/Panda?ID=pav_18927&SPAM=true&path=C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\Donna\Local%20Settings\Application%20Data\Panda%20Software\AntiSpam