Re: Project Dilemma

Stuart Roll <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 22 Sep 2008 08:52:04 -0700

Phil -

Considering the emotional and politicized nature of the Anthropogenic
Global Warming (AGW) debate, I was actually gratified to see that the
theme and project this year were worded in such a way as to not be
specifically about AGW but instead about climate science in general.

One only needs to read newspapers to know that there are many people who
feel VERY strongly about AGW and would naturally look on AGW-oriented
projects with great favor (or disfavor).

It is often true that a student in a university class must write papers
that please the professor's ideological "bent" or risk getting a bad
grade.

I would ask that the judges be reminded to not grade projects higher or
lower based on whether they agree with the political implications of the
project.  That should ensure a level playing field for all to succeed on
their merits.

Thanks for all that you do, Phil!  Your hard work is certainly
appreciated (as is that of all our wonderful volunteer judges).

Stuart Roll
Team 1494 - Banano Splits (2006)
Team 6567 - Solar Pickles (2007)
Team 3502 & ???? (2008)