Re: Project Dilemma

Charles Aldridge <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 22 Sep 2008 13:32:35 -0400

In the FLL challenge of 2001 (Arctic Impact), participants were told that
global warming existed and they were challenged to research whether the
phenomenon was due to natural climatic change or human interference (AGW).
It was an academic challenge.  The Power Puzzle challenge put a fine point
on decisions and actions that participants could take to reduce utility
consumption and costs at a specific building.  The challenge also encouraged
larger thinking about alternative energy sources.  The Climate Connections
challenge parallels this approach without requiring or denying a team to
present their findings with rational sterility or wrapped in emotional
appeal.  I conclude that the flexibility given to participants in this
challenge is deliberate and remarkable and the discussion raised at an FLL
partner conference is an encouraging event.

Participants focusing on a local, community issue is consistent with recent
FLL challenges.  Emissions inspections on cars and trucks are a fact of life
in some Virginia communities but not in others.  You could argue a public
health, pollution, and an overarching climate connection that is quite clear
to students.  Take them on a field trip to an inspection station where they
can see the emissions from their own family's car.  The most conspicuous
climate event for many Virginia communities is lack of precipitation
(whether it be snow or rain is another distinction).

What I'm suggesting is that if your team plans to focus on polar bears there
should be some in their local community.  There is plenty of latitude to
extend a discussion of what is happening in their local community to include
the arctic but the starting point is intended to be their local community.

A panel of judges that includes folks that are as well versed in the
position of Bjorn Lomborg as they are in Al Gore's is not necessary for fair
judging but it wouldn't hurt either.  If the judging rubric is followed I
think the rankings that emerge have a very good chance of being
politically-neutral and will be merit based.

Charlie Aldridge
Midlothian