Re: food for thought about scores

Cynthia <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 16 Oct 2008 10:11:37 -0400

Sounds good. Time factors in here again though. With one-day tournaments,
the priority is making sure the teams get enough rounds on the table and are
able to make it to their judging sessions and callbacks. Tournaments in
general tend to run behind schedule, so this sometimes requires any extra
time to be had. At the end, as soon as judges are done deliberating, the
awards are given and the day is over. For smaller tournaments, there may be
some time to add in presentations from the award-winning teams without too
many complaints, but coming from a larger tournament, that is a long,
exhausting day for everyone and I can't imagine too many people would want
to stick around after the awards are given out.

At our tournament, we've tinkered with the possibility of showing the
callback teams during judge deliberations as a way to fill the gap there,
but it's never happened for one reason or another. Ideally, there could be a
volunteer who would tape all judging sessions and show the callback teams on
tape during that time, but that requires a whole other set of logistics and
equipment.

feedback form and teach the judges at our tournament to do the same. It
seems the first step toward getting feedback at your tournament is getting
in touch with the judge advisor and requesting that feedback be given.
Unfortunately not everyone who needs to hear this is on this listserv. Also,
if we're going to put feedback on those forms, come ask after the awards for
them. Your tournament might have them and you just don't know it because
they forget to announce it. That happens more times than you might think.

Hope some of that helps,

Cynthia
Judge