Re: food for thought about scores

Michael Blanpied <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 16 Oct 2008 10:44:20 -0400

I like Stephanie's idea of having top-rated teams demonstrate their
prowess during the closing ceremony. It would be both fun and
educational for the other teams, and would give the performing teams
(and their coaches and parents) some extra strokes for their months
of hard work.

Cynthia is right that the big tournaments are long and draining, but
I've found that the closing ceremony is more refreshing than
exhausting. It's the first time in the day that the teams get to
relax, sit down, and not be rushing to adjust a program or rushing
off to meet judges. Yes, it would take more (even more) volunteer
effort to identify, contact and organize the teams chosen to perform,
but we're only talking about a 5-minute performance, a 2.5-minute
robot routine, and perhaps a 3-minute talk about robot design, so the
added time would be small.

I've taken two teams to the Ashburn tournament. It's a terrific
event, very well run. But the day is just so darned full and
busy--with four robot events and three judging events plus opening
and closing ceremonies plus robot practice time--that none of us have
seen a single other team compete. The team is so intent on their own
robot that they don't even watch the robot on the adjoining table.
And the awards ceremony conveys no information about -why- each team
got the award they did. I've used photographs and YouTube videos to
demonstrate to the team the breadth of strategies and approaches that
have been taken in past years, but haven't gotten much traction.
Catching their attention in the heat of the moment, when their brains
are still perking about the competition, would be more useful.

Something to consider, at least?

Cheers,
Mike