FEAST-L Archives

November 2008

FEAST-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
"Norlock, Kathryn J" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Norlock, Kathryn J
Date:
Thu, 13 Nov 2008 09:13:00 -0500
Kant's Observations on the Feeling of the Beautiful and Sublime includes Section Three: "Of the Distinction of the Beautiful and the Sublime in the Interrelations of the Two Sexes," which my students always find accessible (enough) and highly informative with respect to his conceptions of femininity and women's capacities.

I always pair this with a selection from Lectures on Ethics, "Duties toward the Body in Respect to Sexual Impulse," because if students read the "Distinction" above without reading the "Duties," they can easily walk away with the assumption that Kant believes women simply merit no moral respect at all-- whereas the Duties requires treating the humanity in women with respect (at times).  It's fascinating stuff, I love teaching this.

Kate

Kathryn J. Norlock
Associate Professor of Philosophy
St. Mary's College of Maryland