Re: Mentoring rookie coaches

M Howe & T Le <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 20 Nov 2008 16:17:04 -0500

As a rookie coach (one of four) for an elementary school that started two
new teams this year (and we lived to tell the story!), Ginny's advice has
been instrumental. She has been our "Virtual" mentor with lots of good
advice and information. We made it to the tournament and had a great time. I
will be attending the tournament in Harrisonburg with my son to get ideas
for next year. I also intend to see the FRC tournament in March and
(hopefully) go to the World Competition in Atlanta.

I'll have to be honest and tell all new coaches that there is a steep
learning curve, especially with big teams from young elementary schools. You
will invest a lot of time and effort, but the payoff is very gratifying. You
will learn a lot along the way. Seeing the kids (and adults)  grow from the
experience is the best part of it all.

I would suggest getting a group of rookie (that's still us) and veteran
coaches together during the summer months to discuss strategies for the next
year. Aside from learning about the robots, there is so much to be learned
about the FIRST Lego League, team management, mission strategies, season
schedules and communication issues. We have also found that the environment
(physical space) in which you have your team meetings determines the amount
of focus and work accomplished. Lots of factors to consider!

Thanks for a "growing" ecperience,

Michele Howe
Robo Eagles and Blue Dragons