Re: active touch rule

Steve Scherr <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 13 Nov 2008 06:57:16 -0500

Here is an important point to note from the Active Robot Touched rule (which has somewhat
changed from previous years):  if the robot is bringing an object from the field into base (an object
encountered out of base), the team has to wait until the object itself crosses IN to base, or the
object gets taken out of play (this is the change) when the robot is touched.  Sometimes young or
rookie team members get a little too eager to save time, and grab the robot before the objects it
is transporting are all in base.

For veteran coaches--Last year's descriptions of robot modes and restrictions on robot activity
after starting and while still in base were mostly to prohibit the use of "tethers" or "leashes".  This
year's rules have been simplified and loosened back up, and the presence or absence of a  leash is
not considered for purposes of touch penalties.

See Q&A RULING 14  Leashing Robots
If you touch your robot while the only part of it in Base is the end of some long [whatever] that
was left there like the end of a dog's leash for the obvious purpose of avoiding a touch penalty,
you'll still get the penalty. I don't want to go back to ruling that the robot must leave base before
it can do anything, so instead you get this post.

Philosophically (and not official FLL guidance)--the ingenuity and engineering challenge of
designing a leash were allowable in the past, but not this year, since the ingenuity and
engineering challenge of having (the main body of) the robot autonomously return to base
demonstrate both programming skill and management of memory and time.

Steve S

On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 20:57:09 -0500, David Levy <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Sorry... another last minute question.   I know that there have been a
>few rule changes since last season and there is this mention of the
>"active touch rule" which I must admit am not fully aware of its
>implications.     I know that last season, the kids would wait for any
>part of the 'running' robot to cross into base before grabbing it and
>setting up the next mission.    Is there something that has changed in
>that respect.
>
>thanks
>David Levy

announcements will be distributed - visit https://listserv.jmu.edu/archives/vadcfll-admin-l.html