VADCFLL-L  December 2008

VADCFLL-L December 2008

Re: FW: [VADCFLL-CHAMPIONSHIP-L] Vector 67 Climate Connection Game Plan

"Swayne, Nick" <[log in to unmask]>

Swayne, Nick

Thu, 11 Dec 2008 14:31:21 -0500

All,

As the guy in question, my concern at the state tournament was not the use of break-aways, rather it was the very precise integration of the referee into the team that I took issue with.  Their plan required pre-match "training" for the referee to the degree that the ref became a de-facto team member.  It shifted about 1/3 of the burden of work/time to the referee rather than the team/robot dealing with it. The strategy required a lawyer-istic approach and a detailed "gap" analysis of the rules.  It was a process that left me wondering if we're encouraging future engineers/scientists or lawyers.  And - it essentially put three team members at the table.

After a long career in the military, where contractors did the same thing - delivering technical products that met a specification but really didn't work right - I was left shaking my head in wonderment.  Is this really what we're all about?

Applying my logic to the game/life, I would not buy a "self-elevating house" as a means of surviving a Katrina if it required that I (or worse an employee of the company) go out in the middle of the flood/storm to disconnect the mechanism after the house was elevated.  Such a device does not represent sound engineering or commendable ethics - even if the device meets the design specifications of the contract.  As taxpayers, this is the kind of engineering that is often featured as a highlight on "the fleecing of America".

I'm all for creativity and thinking outside the box - it's the other stuff I take issue with.

I will work with FIRST on how to sort this out if possible.  Until then, I'm OK with following the rules as they are - but you'll know where I'm coming from.

Nick