VADCFLL-L  December 2008

VADCFLL-L December 2008

Re: Gracious Professionalism. Is there an equal but somewhat different motto needed for girls?

Robert Panten <[log in to unmask]>

Robert Panten <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 13 Dec 2008 21:15:17 -0500

Debbie,

Thank you for your thought provoking question. My thoughts come from the
perspective of fiercely competitive and over-achieving male. I am also the
father of an 8-year-old daughter who I want to see reach her full potential
(especially with regards to her interest in math and science).

It is stating the obvious to say that girls are different from boys. In
order to make our daughters more comfortable operating within the realms of
science and technology there are (at least) two approaches...
Firstly, a laudable goal is to reshape the whole mindset within our worlds
science and technology leaders into something more compassionate,
empathetic, and nurturing. I think that many of our daughters would feel
more comfortable in an environment such as this and be more inclined to
pursue science and technology. I suspect that as a female engineer, you may
see this as a Herculean task. This is not to say that it's not a goal worth
working towards but clearly we were not able to effect such a large change
in time for your daughter and it seems unlikely that we will see a dramatic
change over the next decade or two as my JrFLL daughter progresses through
her education.

The second approach is to teach our daughters how to stand their ground and
operate/compete successfully in the current (male-centric) environment that
pervades many scientific and technical disciplines. This approach may not be
as emotionally satisfying to some of you but it is practical and achievable.
Unless dramatic philosophical changes occur in these fields, I need to make
sure that my daughter acquires the skills that allow her to produce
"high-quality work" in an environment of "fierce competition" and "mutual
gain" where she needs to "compete like crazy", "value others", and "add to
society". The other values that you mention; "helping, sharing, discussing,
compromising, teaching, process over product" already seem to come more
naturally to my daughter than they do to my sons. These additional skills
will give her an advantage on the field but in order to get on the field she
will need to understand the rules that the boys play by.

Rob Panten