VADCFLL-L  January 2009

VADCFLL-L January 2009

FLL Participation in "Discover Engineering Family Day"

David Levy <[log in to unmask]>

David Levy <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 28 Jan 2009 19:27:35 -0500

Hello and Happy New Year!

I'd like to inform all FLL team members of a wonderful opportunity on
( Saturday February 21 , 2009) , to show off their skills before
thousands in the historic and impressive main hall of the DC National
Building Museum. http://eweekdcfamilyday.org/2008/images/pics_2008/NBM2008ka_115.jpg

What is Discover Engineering Family Day?
" The annual Washington DC Engineering Family Day is:
-Enjoyed by over six thousand participants every February at the
beginning of E-Week.
-Hands-on with over 20 activities presented by local engineering
chapters and national organizations.
-Aimed at children of all ages, so they can experience the excitement
of engineering.
-Exciting with characters and actors from popular engineering and
science TV shows.
-Produced by a committee of enthusiastic local volunteers,
representing many engineering organizations."

We plan on showcasing both FLL Climate Connections as well as
offseason activities.

FLL Climate Connection activities:
1) You are welcome to bring your robots to perform table runs during
the day.
2) You are welcome to bring your project presentation materials for
display ( space may be limited)
3) We ask that you wear your team t-shirts
4) We'll have a special table set up with FLL Flyers and a signup sheet

Off season activities:
We recognize that many teams have dismantled their Climate connection
robots and therefore would like to offer other activities for team
members to participate in.

5)You are welcome to bring your own simple NXT vehicle to program
autonomous missions for a Sumo challenge.
You'll be given instruction on what techniques to use to keep your
vehicle in the Sumo ring and to search for your competitor's robot.
Here is an example of an off season Sumo challenge that was conducted
locally last summer:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUO0-Dp5sPQ&eurl

6) You are welcome to bring a laptop as computers may be limited.

7) A life size biped walker has been constructed out of multiple NXT
kits to allow team members to work on their own programming solutions
to simulate anthropomorphic activity.
See:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZDi0o4asY0

Note:  As of yet, we still have not located an FLL table ( we have the
mat and models).  So if anyone can bring in a table for the day then
it would be most appreciated.   We are also coordinating efforts with
Maryland and DC outreach to secure a table.

If anyone is  interested in joining us or has questions about
logistics, please contact me directly.

Thank you
David Levy
VADCFLL Outreach Director