Help for MDIDUSERS-L Archives

MDIDUSERS-L Archives

Subject: Re: Faculty Collections
From: Andreas Knab <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 19 Feb 2009 18:03:09 -0500

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 9:36 AM, Kate Spears <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Hello Everyone! I am over the Visual Resources Collection for the Univ. of
> TN School of Art. At this time, it has been only me and another staff
> member who manage our MDID collection. The program that we use to generate
> our slide labels also provided XL spreadsheets of data to be uploaded into
> MDID. So far this has been good for us. Now some members of our faculty
> have expressed interest in uploading their own images. I am confused as
> well as concerned about what to tell them. First, would it be beneficial to
> wait until after the new version has been released to begin instructing
> them?

All the data will migrate from MDID 2 to MDID 3, so there is no real
reason to wait.

> Second, should each of them create their own collection or should
> they put all of their images collectively in the "personal collection"?

I am not a curator, but I would not create individual faculty
collections unless a faculty member has a large number of images that
make up a sensible collection by themselves.  The issue with
individual faculty collections is that you could possibly end up with
a large number of collections that each only have a small number of
records in them, plus the only relation between the images could be
that they belong to the same person.  Other's may have more direct
experience with this.

> Third, if they do put them all in the "personal collection," how do we make
> sure that they are assigning the proper unique identifiers so that it isn't
> just a big jumble?

MDID automatically assigns a unique resource to each record so that
the images don't conflict. Users can still come up with their own
identifiers, but are not required to do so, and it is not necessary to
make the images work.

> Maybe this is too much to include in one message, but also why is it that
> information entered manually (one data field at a time) is overwritten when
> you go back and upload data by spreadsheets? Is this something that might
> be changed in the new version?

Uploading a spreadsheet always replaces existing records, independent
of where the record data came from.  Right now I cannot think of why
it would work differently; would you mind describing your data entry
workflow, perhaps it is something to consider for the next version.

Andreas

Find all official announcements and news about MDID at
http://mdidnews.blogspot.com/

Subscribe to new posts at
http://feeds.feedburner.com/mdidnews