FEAST-L Archives

March 2009

FEAST-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

From:
Samantha Brennan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Samantha Brennan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Mar 2009 17:35:31 -0400
I can recommend the following which I taught this year:

New Media & Society, Vol. 9, No. 4, 577-602 (2007)
DOI: 10.1177/1461444807080326

    Feminist sexualities, race and the internet: an investigation of
    suicidegirls.com

* Shoshana Magnet *

University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, USA, [log in to unmask]
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

This article analyzes representations of feminism and sexuality^ on
Suicide Girls (www.suicidegirls.com), a commercial site which^ features
the online journals, profiles and nude photographs^ of young, heavily
tattooed, punk women. It highlights the ways^ in which this site
attempts to subvert the male gaze by changing^ contemporary photographic
practices. It also interrogates the^ way in which the feminist potential
of this site remains constrained^ by its inclusion of only a limited
number of women of colour^ and only as a marketing `strategy' of
diversity. It argues that^ rather than a critical race feminist
commitment to inclusivity^ and structural change, this strategy of
`diversity' is reflective^ of the internet tenet which holds that
`content diversity is^ good business'. Thus, it concludes that rather
than a feminist^ site which operates in the hope of broadening
understandings^ of female sexuality, this site prioritizes profit to the
detriment^ of feminist content.^

*Key Words:* commodification • cyberfeminism • cybersex • race

--
Samantha Brennan
Professor & Department Chair