VADCFLL-L  April 2009

VADCFLL-L April 2009

Green GLOOOCS return from Worlds

Sally Sylvester <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 20 Apr 2009 10:27:27 -0400

Hello VA/DC FLL friends,

The Green GLOOOCS have returned, and what an amazing experience we had
at Worlds!!!!!!  It was incredible to meet teams from 26 different
countries around
the world as well as from all around the United States.  It was
fascinating to learn
about what other teams studied as well as to learn about so many other
different
cultures!!  The spirit and the energy was unbelievable!!  Everyone was
having the
time of their lives sharing with each other what they learned, how they
educated
their community, and how they made a difference.  Teams shared not only
what
they learned during their "Climate Connection", but about their home
state/country
and the traditions, culture, food, entertainment, etc.

We will get some pictures out on the list serve soon for everyone to
see.  As you'll see, the Green GLOOOC was quite the hit and teams ended
up putting buttons and flags on him.  Dean Kamen even signed the Green
GLOOOC
and posed for a picture with him.  As we were representing DC as well
as Virginia,
we were able to get President Obama to come along, and teams loved
posing for
pictures with him!!

We competed hard, but most importantly had fun on the final leg of our
four year journey. Although our robot runs were very disappointing, we
did come home with
a 3rd place trophy for Creative Research Presentation so were very
excited about
that!!  We couldn't think of a better way to end an unbelievable four
years, than to have
had the honor of representing VA/DC at this incredible event!!  The
GLOOOCS have many,
many fond memories from Worlds that will last their lifetime!!

We want to thank Bill and Susan Duggins and congratulate them on the
Outstanding Volunteer Award.  Also a huge thanks to Karen Berger and Sam
LaPlante for their hard work and dedication!!  It was great to see so
many VA/DC FLL
faces working so hard in Atlanta.  Thanks to the Botbrains and the Robo
Rubiks for
coming and cheering us on, it was wonderful to see you all!!

This was the grand finale for the Green GLOOOCS (formally the HomeWood
CF-Als,
the NANORATS, and the OTEC Lobsters) and what a grand finale it was.  We
have had the greatest four years in FIRST LEGO League and have had so
many
experiences that would never have been possible if it hadn't been for
FLL!!  We
have become inspired about Science and Technology, we have learned
incredible amounts
about all the fascinating topics, we have learned what it means to work
as a team,
we have learned how to carry Gracious Professionalism into our everyday
lives, and
we have become passionate about educating our community and making a
difference!!
Most importantly however, we have met so many friends and have had so
much fun along
the way!!  We have been inspired by so many teams and want to thank you
all for that!!

Watch soon for some pictures of the team and the Green GLOOOC!!
THANKS for providing so many wonderful memories for this team!!

Sally and Bill Sylvester and all the Green GLOOOCS - Team 11