VADCFLL-L  September 2009

VADCFLL-L September 2009

Re: Recommendations for Using County Mindstorm Kits Needed

Curt Tran <[log in to unmask]>

Curt Tran <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 12 Sep 2009 18:22:29 -0400

Hi Stephanie,

I'm not sure about Loudoun County, but I have not heard about Fairfax County
having Lego Mindstorms kits available to rent or to borrow.  I do know some
middle schools in Fairfax County (with a GT center) that have the funding to
purchase the Mindstorms kits for their Tech classes, but they don't loan
them out.

My suggestion is to work with your school PTA/PTO on this.  This was how our
elementary school started their Robotics program 3 years ago.  The PTO (not
sure about PTA rules) funded the purchase of 11 Mindstorms Kits ($280 ea)
and the Carnegie Mellon Robotics Engineering I course ($270).  The PTO
offered 3 before/after school robotics classes with 16 students for each
class (2 students per kit, with 3 kits to be used by 3 parent-volunteer
teachers).  The PTO charged $90 per student for taking the Robotics
Engineering I class.  The 3 classes were fully booked, and the PTO recovered
all the cost in the first year.  (What the kids did during their 2nd year is
another success story to be shared later...)

This is the quickest way for you to get the Mindstorms Kits into your school
and to avoid all the bureaucracy with the county.

Regards,
Curt Tran
2007, Coach Team #3563, Rabid Llama Lords
2008, Coach Team #324, Scitobor