Monospaced Font

Presidential Acknowledgement - Rabid Llama Lords

Curt Tran <[log in to unmask]>

Curt Tran <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 16 Oct 2009 16:21:38 -0400

I just want to share a FLL success story of the "Rabid Llama Lords" with
everyone especially those rookie teams. A group of 9 students from CRES had
received "Presidential Acknowledgement" when the White House learned about
their accomplishment in FLL and robotics. They each received a letter from
President Bush in June 2008 in recognition of their passion for robotics,
FLL participation, and most importantly for their volunteered to teach
robotics to other students at school. The story of "Take and Give" and
"Giving Back to Our Community" told by a group of 6th grade students in
their FLL '07 Climate Connection project won the heart and mind of the White
House.

Receiving "Presidential Acknowledgement" were the 7 students on the "Rabid
Llama Lords" team along with 2 more 6th graders (Ben and Marc) who
volunteered to lead the 2nd team "CRD2!" with younger students. With 9
kids, it would have been much easier to just have one team, but their
decision to form a second team is all about our FLL Mission "...to inspire
young people...". (Six of these students are now at Kilmer MS and what
these kids did in 7th grade is another success story to be shared later...)

The students that received "Presidential Acknowledgement" include:
   Kurt Tran
   John Valeiras
   Tim Zhong
   Will Gottwald
   Kabir Brar
   Akshith (Sonny) Doddi
   Nick Comlekoglu
   Ben Espey
   Marc Daalder

I've attached a copy of the "Presidential Acknowledgement" letter that Kurt
has received, teaching recognition from school, along with the project in
PDF format (in the ZIP file) for reference and to inspire those rookie
teams. It is not about winning or losing in the competition, if the kids
have fun this FLL season, they're all winners! Remember the FLL Vision "To
transform our culture by creating a world where science and technology are
celebrated and where young people dream of becoming science and technology
heroes." - Dean Kamen, Founder.

While everyone is busy solving the Smart Move missions, don't forget about
the important of the FLL Project. It was the "Rabid Llama Lords" FLL rookie
year in '07. It was impossible for them to win the robot game that year,
but they've won in a big way with recognition on their FLL Project...

Cheers,
T. (Curt) Tran
Coach Team #3563, Rabid Llama Lords '07
Coach Team #324, Scitobor '08

P.S. You can send a zip file, however, by adding the extension ".jmu" to it.
For example, fll.zip.jmu. Be sure to instruct recipients to rename it by
deleting the ".jmu" extension after they've downloaded it.

P.S.S. Sorry, the zip.jmu file is too large and will not send. Send me an
e-mail if anyone want a copy of the project, or maybe Dr. Grove can post it
on the VADCFLL news server. - Curt