FEAST-L Archives

October 2010

FEAST-L@LISTSERV.JMU.EDU

Date:
Fri, 8 Oct 2010 11:47:51 -0400
Thanks, Ann, for forwarding the notice of Foote's death.

She taught one semester at Cornell when I was there, and I remember
her vividly in that context. As I remember her, she had a bearing and
manner of speech that to me seemed very proper and upper-class, and
she somewhat shocked us when she regaled the seminar with examples of
various situations of moral concern that were spelled out in
wonderfully explicitly grizzly detail. Examples of beheadings,
evisceratings and fabulous degrees of greed and all manner of other
vices, all detailed with clear philosophical relevance and
considerable humor.  I did love that seminar.  And I remember a few of
the lessons learned.

Marilyn