VADCFLL-L  March 2011

VADCFLL-L March 2011

Re: Robotics camp using FLL & 1 more question

Kathy Molina <[log in to unmask]>

Kathy Molina <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 14 Mar 2011 12:33:34 -0400

Thank you all for your replies!

In summary:

Sumo
Mazes
dancing - me programming one dance to music and the students trying to copy my dance (program) and making their own
and everything mentioned below (see email below)
various line challenges
Anything that uses the sensors (like getting your robot to move when people clap)

Here's the last question:

I need to learn now how to use the blue tooth. I'm very intrigued about its possibilities.
Are there any good sites for that? Do I need a palm smart phone?

Thanks all!
Kathy

Kathy Molina
Science 6
Robotics - Horticulture 6-8
HB Woodlawn
703-228-6363

GO BEARS! GO NAVY! GO BOWS!

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
This communication was sent via the Arlington Public Schools mail system. Please be advised that email is not a secure form of communication. There should be no expectation of right to privacy in anything sent via electronic mail.

>>> "Swayne, Dominic - swaynedd" <[log in to unmask]> 3/7/2011 5:44 PM >>>
Kathy/All,

I've used Sumo wrestling as well - I make the students do all the building
and programming.  If you explain the challenge and keep the matches short
you'll capture the audience.  It is a fairly complex problem:

1. Move around but stay on the table
2. Look for the other robot
3. React to the other robot - AND - stay on the table

That said, there is a lot of research done by Resnick out of the MIT Media
Lab that says you need to make the challenge/activity relevant to the kids
doing the activity.  If you have enough robots/kids give them a choice.
Some ideas:

1. Coordinated/choreographed dance routine with multiple robots
2. A theater/play
3. Musical instruments/band
4. A zoo/animal that looks and moves correctly
5. Remote control robots - using bluetooth
6. Solve a maze with unknown parameters

There's no reason you can't have all these go on simultaneously.  The
programming concepts required are similar and can be as simple or complex
as they can accommodate.  You don't need to be an expert in any of them to
facilitate the kids' learning.

Create a few challenges that will give them the skills they need to do the
challenge they want - most of these are covered in the tutorials included
with the Lego Educator tutorials.

You can do some pretty interesting artificial intelligence programming
that can get at very advanced and abstract programming concepts.

Nick