Re: Items in base

Stephen Scherr <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 27 Sep 2011 09:44:57 -0400

Stuart's response is very good, but I have one clarification and one correction.

As he said, for the question, "Does the robot have to deposit in
Base?", the answer is no, once the items cross into Base and the team
takes possession, the team may handle them (Rule 8, bullet 3).

My comments come from Rule 18, Touch Penalties.
The clarification--for purposes of making the robot Inactive (Rule 13)
and applying Touch Penalties, touching either the robot **or anything
that it is touching** (i.e. Cargo) counts as a touch (Rule 12).

The correction--if the robot is transporting cargo to Base (for
example one of the rats) and the robot/cargo is touched while the
cargo item (the rat) is completely outside of Base, then the  rat is
taken out of play ("if the cargo was NOT with the robot the last time
the robot left Base, the ref takes it away.")

The only objects legally moved by the robot that get moved by the
referee are bacteria that reached the sink improperly.  (The Mission
description has priority over Rule 19.)

Steve Scherr
VA/DC FLL Referee Advisor