VADCFLL-L  September 2011

VADCFLL-L September 2011

Re: Another Question Re: Expected mission model behavior

Stephen Scherr <[log in to unmask]>

Stephen Scherr <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 29 Sep 2011 00:04:44 -0400

I tell teams that it's always okay to ask the referee, but sometimes
she has to say, "No, I can't do that."  (because of Rule 14, Quality
Control)

Corn not jumbled--the answer is No.  The photo in the Field Setup
shows the corn kind of jumbled, and the setup directions reference the
photo.
Corn *less* likely to stick--the answer is yes.  The Field Setup tells
what to do with the harvester.
Corn in single layer--The Field Setup says that the four corn pieces
must be individually loose.  I agree that pieces piled on top of each
other doesn't count as "individually loose", so yes, they should be in
a single layer.

Note that it is expected that sometimes some of the corn will stick in
the harvester.  The words in the Field Setup say "less likely to
stick".  Scott Evans also speaks of the corn sticking in either the
Coaches' Robot Game recording or in the FLL mission review video on
YouTube.  (Neither the call nor the video are official, but they do
reinforce the expectations set by the wording in the game materials.)
Scott notes that the team only needs one piece of corn, so if the
others stick, it doesn't affect scoring.  Plus--the team always gets
at least three matches to achieve its highest score.

It's time for this week's reminder--now that the team has had a chance
to work with the robot and the missions for a little while, it's a
great time for the rules and mission experts on the team to review ALL
the Robot Game documents to see what little pieces of information they
can pick up.  Did you know that we had all that information about the
corn?  Ask the team members if they saw the Rubik's Cube in the Game
documents, too!

Steve Scherr
VA/DC FLL Referee Advisor