Re: Rule 26 and the Blue Ball

VA/DC Referee Advisor <[log in to unmask]>

VA/DC Referee Advisor <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 22 Oct 2011 16:55:23 -0400

I haven't fully thought through this update yet; I am trying to
understand what is different from previous years and how to handle it.
 I don't claim that what I will write below is internally consistent,
either....

First comment:  I never, ever like having the team members touch
mission models or pieces.  That's the referee's job.  I do understand
why Scott puts in an option for the team to retrieve stuff if the
referee can't get there in time.  My recommendation:  don't let this
be a problem.  Talk to the referee and anticipate what might happen so
you can have the ref eliminate the problem.

Second comment:  I am a fan of picking up the ring(s) right away, and
I will recommend that to all referees, even though the update doesn't
quite stretch that far.  Teams are welcome to remind the referee if
that doesn't happen.  This is because I have seen objects on the mat
be navigation problems for robots very frequently.

Third comment:  Traditionally, we never let the teams specify where
stray objects should be moved to, in case there is some strategic
purpose to the location.  Suggestions are okay, of course.  My typical
action is to push it so that it rolls out of the area of concern, but
is still in play and worthy of attention, since that's about as random
as I think is appropriate.

Fourth comment:  Balls typically don't interfere with robot navigation
unless they get wedged between the robot and another object or wall.
(Also, it can be kind of entertaining to see them roll around.)
Update 26 allows them to be moved if they are "in the robot's way".
So, I wouldn't generally plan to move them out of the way immediately
after they are disturbed.

Fifth comment:  I think that it is a marvelous idea for teams to talk
to the referee in advance about what to expect.  One of our goals in
robot engineering is to reduce variability, and talking to the ref is
a great method to reduce variability in the referee's actions.  Plus,
it shows that the team understands what to expect from the robot's
performance, and has thought about how that affects the game and the
need for referee action.  What could be bad about that?

Lastly:  it is the team that knows whether the ball will get in the
robot's way, or whether it will be negligible even if there is
contact.  A comment like "that ball will be in our robot's way when it
drives through there [soon/on the next run/in 2 seconds/etc.] gives
the referee notice and lets him or her act in time to move the ball
somewhere else.

Steve Scherr
VA/DC FLL Referee Advisor