Re: Virus

VA/DC Referee Advisor <[log in to unmask]>

VA/DC Referee Advisor <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 27 Oct 2011 11:38:31 -0400

Lloyd is 100% correct.  See Rule 23:
------
SCORING
With rare exception, your score is assessed based on the conditions at
the exact time the match ends only.
 Points are not given for results the robot produces during the match
but then trashes before the end.
 Points are not given nor taken away for results produced after the
match end signal ends.
------

For scoring, the condition of the field is recorded only at the end of
the match.

So the robot may be able to "clean up" the field of bacteria and
ensure that the empty dispensers are worth 12 points each.

On the other hand, just because the robot did something good at the
60-second mark of the match (e.g. set the cooking timer pointer to
red), doesn't mean that the robot might not undo that later in the
match (set the cooking timer to not-red).  Only the condition of the
field at the end of the match is important for scoring.

There aren't too many opportunities to mess up a seemingly completed
mission this year.  The main one is the Distant Travel mission.
Touching the east wall during the middle of the match is not
significant.  Only touching the east wall at the instant that the
match ends is important to earn the points.

Steve Scherr
VA/DC FLL Referee Advisor