Re: Team captains removed a team member

Phil Smith III <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 8 Oct 2012 13:59:39 -0400

First: OUCH.

I take it your "team captains" are kids?

In retrospect, "empower[ed] to make team decisions" needed to be qualified.
I wouldn't have thought of that, either, so I'm not chastising/criticizing,
just observing.

But going forward:
- Do you want the kid on the team? Sounds like his teammates don't. But that
might not be a good argument for kicking him off.

- If he doesn't show up for meetings and is disruptive, what have his
parents had to say about that? Or did "I was going to talk to the parents
about this but the captains beat me to it in a way I did not expect" mean
that you hadn't talked to them previously?

- Do his parents understand that YOU weren't part of kicking him off? That
doesn't mean it shouldn't matter, but it's critical for you being able to
talk to them without you being the Bad Guy going in, I think.

- Are you the only coach/adult present? Even though they can still decide
whatever they want about you, having two or more adults saying "Yeah, this
was the behavior" should reduce the chances of them deciding you just don't
like their kid.

- What do the team captains have to say about this? I.e., are they obdurate?
Would they consider his return on a probationary basis?

- You say "independent funding". Did the team members pay something?

Again, OUCH. Never had to deal with anything like this, and it's clearly not
easy.

I think the bottom line is to first understand what YOU want and what the
TEAM wants, then reconcile those (if needed), and then discuss with the
parents.

Keep us posted...
--
Phil Smith III