Re: Lego piece left on the board.

VA/DC Referee Advisor <[log in to unmask]>

VA/DC Referee Advisor <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 8 Oct 2012 00:04:31 -0400

In most cases the scoring for the missions does not say anything about
objects that the robots leaves on the board.

Rule 27, Scoring, bullet 1 says:
Unless a specific method is required, your score is assessed based on
the conditions at the exact time the match ends only.

Rule 3, Interpretation, bullet 2 says:
If a detail isnít mentioned, then it doesnít matter.

Each of the Missions tells its criteria for earning a score.
The only mission score that can be affected by LEGO objects left on
the field is the Transitions mission.

Rule 21, Failure and Loss, bullets 2 and 4 specifically mention
objects and cargo that the robot leaves on the field--so you know that
leaving objects on the field is allowed:
- Objects moved/left outside Base are not replaced or moved out of the
way by hand.
- Cargo the robot loses contact with is left wherever it comes to rest

There is nothing in the Rules that allows for "partial points"
(although some results for accomplishing a mission are worth more than
others, of course.)

Bottom line--yes, it is okay for the robot to leave objects scattered
around the field at the end of the match.  They will not affect the
scoring, except as specifically described in the Updates, Missions,
and Rules.

Steve Scherr
VA/DC FLL Referee Advisor